Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Dance of Life

Jeane Myers  is a favourite artist of mine. Probably because I am trying to achieve similar results as her in my own artwork. Her statement about her work struck a chord in me. It was as though I was reading about the movements within InterPlay and Improvised Dance. It reminded me how interconnected my experience of dance and movement are with how I paint.  Abstract or impressionistic dancing figures often appear in my artwork.
At present my work reflects two ideas - points of connection and mapping. 'Points of connection' are created by the everyday momentary connections we make such as hands touching, whispers in the ear, stepping into a hot bath, first taste of our favorite food, etc. Each moment causes a sensation and then passes. Much of my work is about that moment of contact.

Mapping is about my love of the idea of connecting the dots in our lives. All the lines intersecting and then the path veers, loops, ends, starts again somewhere else. We go forward and backward, we stand still, we sink, we stumble, we fall, - this action or lack of it, intrigues me. These two interests drive my current work.

Jeane Myers 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment